Unit 8: Refining the Climbing System.




Today I wanted to try and make the climbing system run more smooth. So I began to think, what would help to do this, maybe I need to add checks for the other parts as well as the ledge grab. I began to look around my code to see what checks I had and how well they worked. I then proceeded to add them to different parts of the climbing system, as you can see here.


I was trying to make a check where it would detect the floor underneath you and if the floor was there it would turn your characters movement mode into walking. As I was trying to do this I made a new bug where I floated on the building. Here is me trying to fix it.



As you can see I tried a few things to fix the issue of floating on top of the roof, (Time stamp 0.03) but once I did that I had another issue, the fix stopped me from being able to climb up the ledge (0.40) and if I got rid of the fix I would float again. So to fix this I made a trace channel to detect when I'm on the floor and if I was not on the ground it would deactivate the fix. However, this also stopped me from being able to jump on the ground. So to fix this issue I made it so the code that deactivates the other bit of code doesn't. As I got to the end I noticed that it still made my characters movement mode change on the smaller obstacle. I realised that my character would actually go below the where the ledge is.



While I was doing that I was troubleshooting a fix and I realised that it only works before you grab a leade, which I thought was really strange so I began to poke around the ledge grab and climbing section.

It turns out that it was a problem to do with the well run, it was making my character slide when it needed to grab the leade, I fix this by changing the check as it wasn't working before.

What it was:


What it is now:

Comments