Making and Animating Sprites.

Making the Sprites

Making the sprites for my game was very challenging, I couldn't come up with a sprite that suited my game and looked good. So I went to youtube to look for some inspiration and in my searching, I found a game called Dead Cells. 




Dead Cells is a type of 2D Dark Souls. It has a tidy hud and clean character design and the game is amazing. I studied the frames of the character sprite closely and discovered it basically 4 or 5 frames for each step, this was shocking to me because it was a very pleasing to the eyes. After this realization I began to work on my sprite, I first decided to work on the sprite's movement before the look of this. So I took each frame from the character sprite from Dead Cells and drew the skeleton of it in photoshop as can be seen to the right. 

I then took this skeleton and reshaped it a little as I didn't like the large leg movement and didn't think it would fit my game's theme. 





So I made the back a more upright and the legs looked more normal. Once I was happy with it I started to add the body of the sprite.
I was still to play with the skeleton of the spite tho as I began to colour it. as can be seen in the final product. I also added an idle state. 




I did a similar thing with the wolf as can be seen here. 




Comments